We at The Urban Grocer are proud Japanophiles and who couldn’t be when the country gives us bottle cap basil, chocolate-dripping wallpaper, and LCD touch panel vending machines? Here are five of our favorite Japanese food trends:
5. Out-of-the-(juice)-box. Coca-cola step aside and give way to a new generation of drinks: wasabi and curry flavored sodas. Not your thing? Then check out these banana, kiwi, and strawberry juice boxes made to replicate the fruit inside. Now that’s thinking outside of the box.
4. Noodles for your noodle. If you thought instant noodles weren’t worthy of your attention post-university, then think again and head to two – not one – Instant Ramen Museums, complete with Instant Noodle Tunnels, theaters, and more. Better yet, it’s free. Your college self would be proud.
3. iEat. Think you love your yaki soba or bacon and eggs a bit more than the next guy? Then say it loud and say it proud with iMeshi iPhone cases designed to look like popular Japanese eats. Your fried pork cutlet is calling.
2. Bento boxes. Peanut butter and jelly in a brown paper bag has got nothing on what some Japanese kids are toting to school in their bento boxes. Think edible Hello Kitty, manga, Pokemon, and even Bill Gates made of rice, seaweed, tofu, and whatever else a school kid craves.
1. Vending machines. Japan has taught us vending machines aren’t exclusively there for your 3pm sugar fix. Craving live lobsters, organic eggs, fresh vegetables, or even a Smart Car during off hours? Japan’s got you covered. And if you can’t find the vending machine you’re looking for, there’s always a chance it’ll come walking by….